Old February 23rd 04, 07:43 PM
Richard Harrison

Dan Richardson wrote:
"The fact is resonance or not is not the determining factor."

Resonance of the antenna system is the determining factor in the
performance of a standing-wave antenna.

This is an amateur group, so you may check the "ARRL Antenna Book". My
19th edition has resonant antennas on page 9-2.

Fig 2 is a series RLC circuit representation of the typical
standing-wave antenna.

Ohm`s law should be noncontroversial (I=E/Z).
To maximize I with a given voltage, Z must be minimized. Z in the series
circuit is the phasor sum of R and X.

R has probably been established firmly in an antenna by its construction
and placement but we can tune the antenna system to make it resonant so
that we eliminate X to get maximum current into the antenna and to
thereby get maximum performance out of the antenna.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI