Old February 24th 04, 04:45 PM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:17:01 -0800, Dan Richardson
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:47:15 -0600 (CST),
(Richard Harrison) wrote:

Not in the "grand scheme of things", perhaps, but a resonant antenna
extracts more energy when swept by a traveling wave than an
off-resonance conductor does at the same distance from the transmitter.

So according to you, as an example, a resonate 1/4 or 1/2 monopole
will extract more energy than a non-resonate 5/8-wave monopole.

Enjoy your dreams, I'm QRT

73
Danny, K6MHE

Hi All,

As a test of modeling and actual, real data, I put this to the test:

1.) I established two full quarter wave antennas;
2.) each with a set of 48 radials;
3.) tuned to 1.7 MHz;
4.) separated them by 20KM (100 wavelengths);
5.) set one to have a source of 1000W;
6.) loaded the other at the base with a 50Ohm resistor;
all in EZNEC with enough segments to hit the 500 limit.

When I called for the load data, EZNEC calculated it to be:
Power = 0.0008166 watts
(already confirmed accurate to FCC Field trials)

THEN, I increased the same antenna's length to 5/8th Wavelength
and observed its load's response to the identical field:
Power = 0.0001185 watts

Through the simple observation of power ratios, the untuned 5/8th
Wavelength antenna suffers to the tune of:
-8.38dB

Now, if this discussion revolves on the myopic consideration of
resonant antennas, devoid of other issues like tuners, matching, lines
that connect and so forth; then it is painfully obvious that NO
ANTENNA absorbs ANY POWER (by virtue of the load having been defined
out of the problem). This is further confirmed in the daily
experience of a million yagi owners whose passive elements offer just
exactly that lossless coupling. When interfaced to a real load, any
SWLer will confirm through simple tuning (and through modeling) that
the received power peaks through adjustment. The 5/8th antenna is no
different.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC