Old September 21st 04, 01:12 AM
Alun

"Joe Guthart" wrote in
:

What's going on here ... the talk of restructuring to remove morse code
requirements has been going on for over 18 months. Many, many
countries have already removed the morse code requirement to gain
access to HF. Sure there's been a lot of backlash from those who still
want to keep code alive. I know this is the government, but, what is
taking so long? Can't they come to some decision quickly. Anyone have
a proposed timeline of when this will be settled.

I did, but it was last year!!

Maybe someone in the FCC is a pro code test ham who is delaying the
process? The FCC in general has been in favour of removing the requirement
for a long time.

The US may be the last country to abolish the code test, the way things are
going. Mind you, AFAIK the code test has still not been abolished in Spain
or Italy(?), although I don't think there's a code test anywhere else much
in Europe anymore.