Old September 21st 04, 11:54 AM
N2EY

In article , "Joe Guthart"
writes:

What's going on here ... the talk of restructuring to remove morse code
requirements has been going on for over 18 months.

No, it's only 14 months. WRC-2003 changed the treaty in July 2003

Many, many countries
have already removed the morse code requirement to gain access to HF.

Not really. Count 'em up - they are but a small fraction of the countries who
have retained the requirement.

Sure
there's been a lot of backlash from those who still want to keep code alive.
I know this is the government, but, what is taking so long? Can't they come
to some decision quickly.

I think that FCC had the authority to just drop Element 1 back in July 2003.
But they decided to go through the entire regulatory process, which takes time.
And it's just not a high priority to FCC.

In the 14 months since last July, there have been well over a dozen different
restructuring proposals to FCC from various groups and individuals. They range
from as simple as "drop the code test and leave everything else alone" to
major renovations including new license classes, subband changes, etc. Each and
every proposal I know of has been assigned an RM number, put on the public
record, opened for public comment, etc. Eventually the FCC will generate an
NPRM from all that info, there will be more comments and reply comments and
eventually the rules may change. Or not.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Anyone have a proposed timeline of when this will
be settled.