Old February 24th 04, 06:27 PM
-Rev Jones

They work I have even seen apt window antennas but range is awful.
The best thing I found is mount with 2 U bolts or s steel hose clamps to the
stern railing as close to the centerline as possible (most those antennas
have a brass plated sleeve at the base). It's a sailboat when the gate s
closed you have plenty of ground plain.
Very difficult to get an acceptable polar pattern on Boats.
If you have a large boat use a 2 co-phased classic Shakespeare "Super Big
Stick" (21 ft sleeve antenna) a-side and above the pilot house is the
ultimate
2 co-phased antennas on the rear port and starboard stern rails work good
also.

If you can afford a boat dont be cheap with "Rube" rigged antenna systems,
it can mean a life or death situation

"Scott Downey" wrote in message
Are you saying it wont work?
Why would the manufacturer make a marine CB antenna knowing it would be

put
on a fiberglass boat knowing that most people would simply hook up the

coax
and see it it works.
I read in the marine catalogs about marine CB antennas designed for boats
and not to be concerned about a ground plane.
Anyone know the answer?

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Scott Downey wrote:
The boat is mostly wood and fiberglass, only metal is railings.

To what is the coax shield going to be tied? If that antenna is
an electrical 1/4 wavelength, where's the ground plane?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp