Old September 22nd 04, 11:36 PM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

I'm an Extra too, Len. I had a hard time learning CW upto 20 wpm and don't
even use it. There are two basic ways to respond to that experience, either

somehow rationalise it as a good thing(?), or realise it was a waste of
time and an unnecessary barrier to others.

Yes, if you can also rationalize all the other parts of the test that
you don't use.

- Mike KB3EIA -

False logic, bad connections. Clean your iron, too many cold solder
joints.

Test Element 1 in the USA only involves morsemanship. Morse code
mode is the ONLY one of many - all optional - modes allowed to
U.S. amateur radio. There has never been another manual operating
test for any other mode in the 70-year history of the FCC in amateur
radio.

Morse code testing doesn't compare to any other thing but morse
code. Trying to draw analogues to other things is ridiculous...but you
knew that, didn't you?

The written part of the U.S. amateur radio test involves FCC regulations.
Those regulations include all the permissible modes and modulations
available to U.S. amateur licensees. It is logical that the written test
include something involving all those modes and modulations.

Try to remember that the FCC's test for an amateur radio license is
NOT an academic achievement test. It is NOT about how much
knowledge of radio is gained, it is all about proving the applicant to
the Commission on the Commission's standards for being licensed.