Old September 23rd 04, 01:04 AM
Bert Craig

"Alun" wrote in message
"Bert Craig" wrote in
:

"Alun" wrote in message
PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in
news:20040921201024.04815.00000600@mb- m17.aol.com:

In article et,
"KØHB" writes:

"N2EY" wrote

Is the 5 wpm test really such a big deal?

Yes.

Why?

73 de Jim, N2EY

It puts people off, especially those who have no plans to ever use CW,
and there are a lot of those.

If I remember correctly, this is why the no-code Tech license was
created.

Oh, want increased "privileges?" Earn them. Sometimes earning something
(Like a degree, for example.) means "learning" a few things that you
may never use.

Heaven forbid we should teach this concept to our kids. Instead they
have a whole generation of underachevers who would rather whine than
achieve. Remember the Regents!

It "puts people off," it'd almost be funny...if it weren't so sad.

You are (deliberately) confusing the issue of having to learn more theory
to upgrade with the issue of learning to use CW in order to use HF phone.

No, Alun...I'm not deliberately confusing the issue. I'm very deliberately
offering MY take on it. I believe the question was; "Is the 5 wpm test
really such a big deal?" IMHO, no it is not! No confusion there.

This has nothing to do with teaching kids they should get something for
nothing, if that's what you are saying.

It's a lead by example thing, Alun. The principles a youngster learns in an
early avocation will likely carry over intotheir later endeavors, both
presonal and professional. Again, IMHO.

But then, if you regard CW as a
holy sacrament, your argument would make sense, which it doesn't.

Holy sacrament? Definitely not. A very cool (And challenging!) mode of
operation that lends itself very well for low power comms and sheer
simplicity? "Noboubtadoutit!" (A NYism, hi.)

And oh, BTW...it's not my argument, it's just my opinion.

--
Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

P.S. My 3-1/2 year old lad can identify the characters A, B, C and J in
Morse code...and I'm sending the character at, at least, 15-wpm.