Old September 26th 04, 12:16 PM
William

(Brian Kelly) wrote in message . com...
PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message news:

All it took for a ham to stay inside the subbands was a frequency standard of
known accuracy. This could take the form of an accurately-calibrated receiver,
transmitter or transceiver, an external frequency meter (WW2 surplus BC-221 and
LM units were relatively inexpensive in the 1960s) or a 100 kHz oscillator with
suitable dividers.

He's clueless. As usual. I could comfortably transmit CW within 200Hz
of any band edge or subband edge with my Collins 75A4 and know I was
"legal". I simply tweaked the 100Khz xtal oscillator to get it dead
on against WWV on several freqs and took it from there. The
out-of-the-box Collins PTO and linear dial with it's adjustable cursor
*is* a frequency meter and it's far more accurate than any of W2
surplus units. Not to mention being much more convenient to use.

Straight out of the 1950s ham catalogs bub . . all of it.

All of it?

So I guess all the hoopla about constructing one's own station to be a
real ham was just a bunch of smoke going up someones hamstring?

Not even a Heathkit in there anywhere?

Sheesh!