Old October 8th 04, 11:16 PM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(N2EY) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,

(N2EY) writes:

In article ,

(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

Subject: US Licensing Restructuring ??? When ???
From:
PAMNO (N2EY)
Date: 10/2/2004 8:55 AM Central Standard Time
In article , Dave Heil

writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(William) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,
(William) writes:

(Brian Kelly) wrote in message
.com...
PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message news:

Or, on the cheap side of the coin, "recycled" parts using mainly
technology that is 50 to 40 years old (K4YZ homepage).

What fault do you find with that and why doesn't any of it appear of
K4YZ's homepage?

Len is confused. He cannot deal with the fact that K4YZ and N2EY are not

the
same person.

There's a whole lot that he is confused about.

For example, he keeps trying to confuse Amateur Radio with PLMRS, GMRS,
Armed Forces Communications, CB, etc etc etc.

I think Len would be very happy if Amateur Radio became just like cb.

Nothing in the Southgate Type 7 is "cheap". The parts used were very
inexpensive, but of high quality.

Geez,
absolutely zilch time spent in trying to make any of it

attractive.

Wrong again!

A lot of time and effort were spent making it attractive to the intended
market. No time or effort was spent making it attractive to Len.

Of course...the Supreme Engineer forgot that the purpose of the

project
was to provide a functional device.

Ya missed the point.

"Attractiveness" is in the eye of the beholder. Look at how clothing

designs
have changed over the years.

Tsk. Kluges are still kluges.

I don't know of any clothing styles called "kluges".

"Kluge" isn't a clothing style. It refers to a thrown-together
(usually hastily) collection of odds and ends of aerospace
things to serve a temporary purpose. Been a common term
in aerospace for a half century.

You should call it "modern radio art" and thereby rationalize that
you are "advancing the state of the radio art!" :-)

Is that an order?

Tsk. Still upset about your handiwork not being admired and
respected? Even if it has the appearance of being a kluge?

Riiiiiight...by making "modern" radio designs using tubes in the
1990s...:-)

Electro-politically incorrect to you, I suppose...

Gosh no. Forget the transistor got invented in the 1940s. Tubes
are venerable, traditional, the stuff of might and brawn in hum
raddio...according to the olde-tymers.

I find that most of the "modern ready-built" radio sets are very
unattractive.

...just like all the other radio amateurs? :-)

I find some other radio amateurs unattractive too. Most I find to be
nice people.

But, you don't LIKE the "modern ready-builts." :-)

You want to re-invent the wheel and get all the applause for being
able to use chassis punches... :-)

Why are the designer-manufacturers continuing (after years of doing
so) to design such "unattractive" exteriors?

One reason is that it's cheaper for them to do so. Another is that, as
in fashion, conventional marketing wisdom says that things have to
change in order to sell more product.

Is it all a conspiracy
against the superior esthetic sense of Jimmie?

You can't be talking about me, because I don't claim any "superior
esthetic sense".

HAR! :-)

What I do have is "independent thought" about what's attractive and
not attractive. I find that most of the "modern ready-built" radio sets are

very
unattractive. If that's unacceptable to you, tough.

Rationalization for being ultra-cheap...or terribly strapped for available
cash even though working as an electronics engineer (implied) for
money. Tsk.

Cluttered front panels, poor color choices, knobs and displays way too

small
and too close together, etc., etc. So I purposely avoid such design in my
projects. If the set is a little bigger because of it - so what?

Kluges are still kluges. :-)

Back to talking about clothing again?

Not me. "Kluge' is a familiar term in aerospace. Too bad you never
worked in that...

Decals for radio markings have been around for a half century...

So what? I don't think the use of decals would make the Type 7
attractive to you.

Tsk. Still smarting from the lack of appreciation of your personal
hobby stuff?

are
clearer to read that scribbled felt-tip marker pen markings.

There are no such markings on the Type 7.

Hard to tell from a single picture on a personal website.

But, if
those are "beauty" to you, feel free to enjoy it.

I don't need your permission, Len.

Tsk. But all NCTAs need YOUR permission to exist in here... :-)

Try NOT to impose
your "standards of beauty" (radio-wise) on others.

I don't. It is *you* who try to impose your standards of
"attractiveness" on others.

You've said that morse code is "music to your ears." :-)

Tsk. That wasn't in any music appreciation venue that I know
of (and that's considerable).

Yet we are yet to see any examples of *your* homebrew HF radio
projects, made in your own shop with only your own resources.

Ah. The "challenge" is made! Gauntlet thrown down.

SHOW WORK! MAKE WEB PAGES FOR DISPLAY!

"Proof" is in the web pages! If it doesn't exist, then everyone
"lies." :-)

DOS tip, Len: AOL gives you a free home page with each screen name.
You can have up to seven! Plus they provide easy-to-use software to
help you set them up. Even I managed to get two of them done in a
short time. (Yes, there's another...)

Tsk. The limit is 2 MB per name. Good for some snapshots,
little more. :-)

So *show us* what *you* could do in the home workshop, using only your
own resources.

Geez...all but baring your teeth in a snarly challenge! :-)

You are still put out that all I said of your single photo was that it
was "neat." No gushing admiration for your prodigious chassis
punching, no respect for your mnemoic capabilities of tube circuit
recall. Sigh.

About the Type 7:

Had I used "decals" on the Type 7, you'd complain that they were
glossy and hard to read, plus easy to rub or wash off.

A simple Lucite of Plexiglass cover plate (easy to work) will
protect such things.

Had I used tape labels, you'd complain that they looked "primitive"

But you didn't and I didn't remark on it. Yet you "know" I would
have said what you accuse me of doing...hi hi.

Had I used engraved nameplates, you'd complain that they looked old
and like an afterthought.

But you didn't and I didn't remark on it. Yet you "know" I would
have said what you accuse me of doing...hi hi.

Had I silkscreened the front panel, you'd complain that it wasn't
engraved.

But you didn't and I didn't remark on it. Yet you "know" I would
have said what you accuse me of doing...hi hi.

Had I engraved the front panel, you'd complain about the color choice.

But you didn't and I didn't remark on it. Yet you "know" I would
have said what you accuse me of doing...hi hi.

Or similar stuff.

But you didn't and I didn't remark on it. Yet you "know" I would
have said what you accuse me of doing...hi hi.

Jim's radio did just that.

And much more.

Mission accomplished.

Not the stuff of "marketable design!"

That'd be a real problem if it was built to be a marketable design.

The intended market thinks it's an excellent design and of high quality
manufacture.

It seems that the real issue is that it bugs Len no end that someone
he considers an inferior (me) can do something he can't. Not just
building a rig, but being able to use it on the air. Not just from a
license/legal perspective, but from a practical operating skills
perspective.

Tsk. Inferiority complex you have?

We forget Lennie's only reason for being a "radio
professional"...profit.

Nothing wrong with that!

"Nothing wrong?"

No, there isn't.

There is wrongness in still keeping the code test in U.S. amateur radio
regulations.

Tsk. That's a hypocritical statement in here!

How? By whom?

Yourself...a PCTA extra with the Double Standard.

WE do what we do for FUN!

Also service to our country.

BWAHAHAHAHAAHHHAAAAA....!!!!

Engaging in a part-time HOBBY is a "service to the country?"

Sure.

Nonsense. Particularly from someone who NEVER served in
the military.

Your mindset is so engrossed in amateur radio as your raison
d'etre that you've slipped over the edge of reality into fantasy.

Tsk. Is the next brag claim "hostile action" experience? :-)