Old October 20th 04, 12:20 AM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , "KØHB"
writes:

"Jim Hampton" wrote

C'mon, you know better than that. Perhaps the point is that equipment
sold in the United States is *supposed* to be (and likely was) checked
for radiated emissions.

Of course I know better than that!

And so does Jim.

A single example of this product developed some sort of birdie/spur on
121.5. Nothing more, nothing less.

If it happened once, it can happen again. We don't really know what made it
fail that way.

Of course the story makes good news copy on a slow day, but it's hardly
a remarkable incident,

False signal on a distress frequency? Possible fine of $10,000 if the owner
turns it on again? Somewhat remarkable to me.

and certainly not a reason to make snide innuendo
about "Designed And Built By PROFESSIONALS".

I was simply pointing out that *any* piece of electronics can have problems. I
guess that's not allowed here.

Just like one must not wear shirts with the slogan "Protect Our Civil
Liberties" where President Bush can see them.

Neither is it a reasonable
basis for a jeremiad about the FCC shirking their responsibilities.

I think it is, considering the background of how loose certification has
become.

---

On the subject of "MADE IN CHINA": There was a story in the local paper's
business section about the bottleneck at various West Coast ports, specifically
Long Beach and Los Angeles. Imports from Pacific Rim countries, particularly
China, are arriving at such a rate that ships wait as much as a week to be
unloaded because the port facilities can't handle the flow. New people are
being hired and the facilities expanded, but such expansion takes time.

Of course what's less visible is the flow of money in the opposite direction.

And what is even LESS thought of is their investment in us and propping
of our economy that they are doing.

One of these days man,
And it won't be very long
They gonna own us.