Old October 21st 04, 02:10 AM
Mike Coslo

Brian Kelly wrote:

PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message ...

In article t, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

On the subject of "MADE IN CHINA": There was a story in the local
paper's
business section about the bottleneck at various West Coast ports,
specifically
Long Beach and Los Angeles. Imports from Pacific Rim countries,
particularly
China, are arriving at such a rate that ships wait as much as a week
to be
unloaded because the port facilities can't handle the flow. New people
are
being hired and the facilities expanded, but such expansion takes
time.

Of course what's less visible is the flow of money in the opposite
direction.

If US manufacturers don't want the business at that price, then they
have no reason to whine when an offshore firm does.

Would you be willing to work for what your Chinese counterpart is paid? And
work under his conditions?

Would you be willing to repeal most environmental, safety, and child-labor
laws? How about intellectual-property protection?

So what's your solution? Shut off Pacific Rim imports and "Buy
American"? Then cheerfully pay maybe $2,000 for a 21" Motorola TV
rcvr? Or do you actually think that by shutting down imports from
China we can "reform" them?

Do you suggest we break out our little book of quotations from the
Chairman?

It isn't funny business. That country is hell bent on becoming the new
worlds economic power - replacing us, and too many people are just happy
to accept it. After all, they can just go home and watch that 99 dollar
TV. Eventually, it will catch up with us.

We live in a country where people seriously suggest boycotting Heinz
Ketchup, and Proctor and Gamble for their satanic logo. Wonderful to see
such conviction.

But we are willingly allowing a communist nation (and remember, they
are STILL a communist nation) to use all the tricks in the book to
undercut the rest of the world economically.

BTW, not too many people noticed just a couple months ago, when the US
lost out on the title of the preferred country for investments. Guess
who is number one now?

- Mike KB3EIA -