Old October 22nd 04, 12:06 AM
William

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) wrote in message . com...
"KØHB" wrote in message ink.net...
"Steve Robeson K4CAP" wrote

fm:

to:

Dear Rich,

Some time ago a story appeared in CQ that told a story about a
young,
recently licensed operator who made the mistake of using "CB" lingo on
the
repeater.

The story went on to tell about a "crusty" old op that
subsequently read
him the riot act on the air, causing the young op to rethink his
Amateur
"career".

Can you help me locate this article?

Thanks!

Steve Robeson, LPN
Amateur Call K4YZ
Winchester, TN

fm: K0HB
to: W2VU

Hi Rich,

Just so you know what's going on......(SNIP)

Received the following from Rich, W2VU:

QUOTE:

Dear Steve,

I did a search of our online database, which extends back to 1990, and
found nothing. I also checked and found nothing in CQ VHF. On the
other hand, this is unfortunately such a common experience that it
wouldn't surprise me if some variation on the theme has been published
somewhere before.

I see that you've copied K0HB on your request for information. Hans
and I have been e-mail correspondents over many years now, sometimes
agreeing on things and sometimes disagreeing. But I seem to recall
that some years back, HE wrote something along these lines - posted it
somewhere on the internet as I recall. Internet postings tend to take
on lives of their own, often traveling far beyond their original
intended audiences. Perhaps parts of his story were quoted by a
columnist for some ham magazine? Or maybe it was reprinted (with or
without his permission) in a club newsletter? You might ask Hans if
his story - if I'm remembering things correctly - was ever published
anywhere.

vy 73,
Rich W2VU
Editor, CQ

UNQUOTE

In as far as remembering that the article was from "CQ", I am
apparently wrong. My own personal "library" of "CQ" only goes back to
January 2001.

In as far as stating it was CQ, I was wrong and apologize to Hans
for that.

I have, however, sent a letter to the ARRL to inquire of them if
the story was thiers. If that too comes up empty (and assuming Hans
doesn't feel compelled to send THEM a "heads up", too...) I will
complete the apology. There WAS an story. If I remeber it from here,
then I was wrong as to it's origin and author.

Steve, K4YZ

The ARRL, huh? Great use of some staffers time. Good thing I didn't
short them on my dues money.

Leave no stone unturned.

Check out 73, World Radio, and Nuts&Volts, too.

Maybe Len can look back in that defunct magazine, Ham Radio. Or ask
Yoshi if it was published in JARL.

After all, you couldn't be wrong.

Manic efforts to prove Hans wrong. Hi, hi!