Old October 23rd 04, 05:55 PM
N2EY

In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

First off, nobody with any sense says "first personal" in normal
conversation.

Nope, nobody I ever heard.

That's cb slang, pure and simple,

Yup, that's where "Jim" learned it.

and it has no place in amateur radio. Period.

Why not?

Because it sounds silly and serves no purpose. Just IMHO.

However, as I noted before, online lectures are not the way to stop it.

They use borrowed ham slang like "handle" on CB.

Corrupting it in the process. "Handle" used to simply mean "name", and it
wasn't even strictly a piece of ham jargon. cb folks changed its meaning to "a
made-up name to avoid using call letters or other means of positive
identification".

10-4, Rubber Duck?

Q signals on voice aren't as bad, but they're
usually not good operating practice.

Why are they not "good operating practice"?

When plain English serves the purpose better. (note I wrote "usually".)

Everyone understands them,
even if "nobody with any sense" uses them in normal conversation.

Why not just use plain English? That's the whole point of using 'phone, isn't
it?

The moral of Hans' story seems to be "Don't ever tell anybody how to
operate, no matter how nicely, because they might be driven off." The
implication seems to be that we should accept any sort of behavior
on-air, rather than risk offending anybody.

As a KVG fan, I'd have thought you'd be the one person here to see the
moral of the story, because it echos the theme of almost all of his
work, which boils down to "BE NICE, DAMN-IT!"

Sorry I missed it, Hans.

"Pretend to be good always,
and even God will be fooled."

- God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater