Old November 2nd 04, 05:26 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"Dave" wrote in message ...

What has the ARRL done to encourage minorities to take up
ham radio as a hobby?

Are they under some legal obligation to encourage ANY subset of
our society to take up Amateur Radio?

What do ham radio clubs do to promote ham radio among minorities?

In the clubs I belong to, they post public announcements in the
local papers that ANY person can read and decide for themselves.

Why would a person
of color want to become a ham radio operator?

Why wouldn't they?

Does skin color, ethnic backround, religious preference, sexual
orientation, etc etc generally predispose one to liking or not liking
ANY particular sport, avocation, hobby, occupational field, etc etc
etc???

And if it did, shouldn't it be the decision of the person to whom
such color is attached make the decision as to what THEY want to do?

Why should any group, club, etc, specifically recruit
"minorities" if the sole purpose is to have a token in that group?

(BTW...I find it a bit amusing to refer to persons of African
heritage as "black", yet call them "persons of color", when in strict
scientific definition, "black" is the ABSENCE of color!)

Personally, I want to "hang out" with people who share like
interests, opinions, etc...Not ones who are there because they were
compelled by some legal mandate or recruiting quota to be
there...Color, gender, religious preference are inconsequential in
those contexts...To me, anyway.

The Constitution and it's Ammendments make it illegal to
"discriminate" against any person based on the aforementioned
criteria. There are precious few circumstances in which any subset of
our society may be admitted or excluded based soley upon gender,
ethnicity, etc, and those are carefully delineated by law.

After that, it should be up to the individual to decide s/he
wants to do with their life, including persuing licensure in Amateur
Radio.

73

Steve, K4YZ