Old November 2nd 04, 06:20 AM
Phil Kane

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:08:50 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

One of the many reasons that I took early retirement when it was offered.

I observe a lot, and one observation is that early retirement is seldom
a bad thing! A few less dollars per month, but so what?

At least for me, it's an exercise in living on about 1/3 of my
former salary -- in the Federal system with 30 years' service, basic
retirement adjusted for survivors' benefits is 50% of salary (it's
not a "gift" or "welfare" - we were required to pay into that with
after-tax money) and my ex gets 1/3 of that.....life and medical
insurance premiums, however, are not reduced from what they were
when I was on "active duty" and Social Security (I am fully
qualified from 15 years' private sector employment before and after
my Federal employment) is only about 20% of what I would have
received were I not receiving a Federal pension.

Don't get old..... ggg

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane