Old November 3rd 04, 08:04 PM
Len Over 21

In article .net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

- The reward system is unbalanced in ways beyond pay compensation.
For example:

How many TV shows, movies, books, and other media do you
see today or in the past 40-odd years that are about the law and
law enforcement, or medical care? How many about any sort
of engineering or technical jobs?

TV shows, movies, books about your vocation are part of your "reward
system"? Wow! Next compensation cycle I'm going to put my engineers
pictures on TV rather than give them a pay raise. I'm sure they'll be
thrilled!

I bet you're damned glad you're not a farmer, a well driller, a plumber,
a purchasing agent, a mail carrier, a diesel mechanic, or a grocery
store manager! They don't get on TV very much either!

TV shows, movies, and books are written to entertain mass audiences, not
to be a "reward system" component.

Heh. Depends on the individual "reward system" at work within the
various imaginations of the the amateurs. :-)

One example: The "fight" to maintain old, antiquated entranace
standards is somehow morphed into some kind of "service of the
country" by "maintaining a pool of trained radio operators." Nice
patriotic thought but a bit late...it came about in the 1920s, in
between the Big Wars. Rather outdated as of 40 years ago.

Out in my neck of the woods is the Entertainment Capital of the
USA. Unofficial "capital" but it generates an enormous capitol of
providing dreams and wish-fulfillment gratification for millions in
the form of emotional entertainment, recreation. Showbiz is about
entertainment For Profit To The Entertainers. [nasty old
"professionalism" in accepting "filthy lucre" for presenting fantasy]
Showbiz folk don't rationalize much about their quest for making all
that money...except maybe on all those think pieces found as
"interviews" in print and on TV...which, after some rather easy
inspection-observation, turns out to be Plants of the PR system to
get a Showbiz person into the Public Mind.

What we've got in this venue is some wannabe Leaders in another
fantasyland of dreams of glory ("service to the country" for enjoying
a hobby or acting like the Boss NCO of a corps) which include the
re-enactment of radio's early days. Those "early days" took place
well before the life experiences of any of the regulars in here but
they press on, making such re-enacts "moral" "legal" and
"purposeful," all according to the tenets of the Church of St. Hiram.
Amen cue heavenly chorus in BG.

Oddly enough, observation of ANY of the amateur radio publications
of the last half century WILL turn up the vast majority being White
Males involved in the hobby of amateur radio. Myself, among the
very many observers, think of them as the Kode Klux Klan. Their
Belief System is manifest, sturdily installed in beeping craniums,
never to be changed.

The "reward system" lies in Believing as the PCTA do...its own
"reward" because they establish the "reward standards."

So...where are all the non-whites in those ham photographs?

Is it a case of "only white men can code?" :-)

"There's no business like code business, like no business I know..."

cue crawl, up closing theme, roll credits...