Old November 8th 04, 02:32 PM
N2EY

"Bert Craig" wrote in message .net...

Very nice, Hans. Wish I'd heard you and Jim.

I kept an ear out for ya, Bert, but it was not to be.

Next year!

I spent very little time
operating and picked a few spots to whittle away at the remaining states I
need for WAS QRP CW in the 90th. I only made 7 contacts in this SS, but that
beats last year's one. (...and I nabbed AL & IA to bring the list down to
8.)

All I needed for SS-WAS was Hawaii. (sigh) Wyoming, normally the
hardest of the 48 in CONUS, was my 6th section! Heard a KL7 on *80*,
first time in the SS for me.

My first SS was 1968 - 81 QSOs.

The spots were definitely down; the bands above 40 were out of
commission sooner after sundown than I recall from previous years.
This is actually an advantage for us small-station ops, because it
pushes the action down to 80 and 40, where beams and other big
antennas are less numerous. Of course a low dipole isn't going to
match 2 elements at 80 feet on 40, but that's the game.

Now I just have to get in shape to hold on past 3 AM local...

73 de Jim, N2EY