Old March 1st 04, 02:02 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Robert Lay W9DMK" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 05:52:05 +0000 (UTC), "tedoboxer"
wrote:

....snip My problem is a very high level of electrical noise across
most HF bands, especially the lower ones.

Look for any "Touch Lamps" that are in your home and get rid of them.
They are wide band noise generators - on or off.

Aquarium heaters are known to be bad noise
makers. Any electrical device where the contacts
are not cleanly opening/closing can cause it.

I recently had the power company come out and,
lo and behold, there was a problem in the HV side
of the circuit supplying my house. I had a radio on
the back porch, battery-powered, while the serviceman
tightnened connections. He redid everything on the
low-voltage side, no help... then he got out the fiberglas
extend-a-pole and touched the HV cutout (big knife switch)...
instant crunch in the receiver (tuned to 50.125MHz USB).
He cycled the big switch and the power noise has been
much better (still comes and goes some).

I found a bad circuit breaker contact in my outside
service panel after that... buss bar had been installed
without bending the cable properly, resulting in bad
contact where the breakers clip on to the bar.

My point is, you could have three different sources of noise... use
the battery-powered receiver to isolate the noise source. Once
you know the source of the noise, you are most of the way to
solving your problem.
__
Steve
KI5YG