Old November 26th 04, 05:22 AM
KØHB

"Steve Robeson K4YZ" wrote

In the FCC's opinion it is not a regulatory necessity, thus they don't
require it.

It's not about regulatory. It's about enforcement.

In the FCC's opinion it is not an enforcement issue, thus they don't
require it.

There's are numerous letters in QST over the past few years
(and I must assume even more who haven't written) lamenting
the same thing.

The FCC sees no regulatory reason (nor enforcement reason, nor "good
operating practice" reason) to change your callsign when you move from
one district to another, nor are they required to consult "numerous
letters in QST" to determine what is "good operating practice"..

They do, however, often take into account the wishes of the citizens who
petition them for rule changes. One of those petitions asked that they
allow amateurs to retain their calls when moving because many hams had
become 'connected' to their call signs, almost as a 'name', and did not
wish to surrender the call when moving. Finding no regulatory,
enforcement, nor "good operating practice" reason that a ham shouldn't
keep their callsign, they ruled in favor of the petitioner.

I guess it's no problem when you are running a full gallon and
have the Internet right there at the operating position, Hans.

Whether I'm running a "full gallon" or 100mW (which is closer to what I
normally run) doesn't make it any easier to devine the source of a CQ.
And what does the internet have to do with it?

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID