Old December 13th 04, 05:19 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Hans" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "JAMES HAMPTON"
writes:

they had recently reduced the code speed when I was in RMA school in
1967. I believe it had been 18 words per minute and they had reduced it
16.

It's my understanding that back in 1957-58, the standard for Radioman

"A"
school was 24 wpm. 5 letter coded groups on a Navy mill. Test lasted

one
hour
with no more than 3 errors permitted.

Now *that's* proficiency!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Nawww, I heard down at the Legion Hall that the final exam for
Radioman "A" was they had to come in hung over, drink 12 cups of
black coffee, & smoke three cigarrettes, all while copying one 65 wpm
net and simultaneously another 75 wpm net. Oh, they had to use
15 Navy mills to do this. At least that is the last story I heard down

at
the Legion Hall.

73,

Hans