Old December 17th 04, 05:59 PM
Len Over 21

In article . net, robert casey
writes:

Without a single poll to back me up, the following could be said to
be accurate for 1911:

Any Frequency:
CW: 100% [on-off keying]

Someone inserted a carbon telephone microphone in
the feedline between the transmitter and antenna, and
produced a crude form of AM. Couldn't have been
much power else the mic would have burnt up. These
mics vary in resistance along with the sound they hear.

Yes, yes, yes, good old Reggie Fessenden did it. At least
once with an audience on Christmas Eve, 1906.

NOBODY followed that example. :-)

AM: 0%

Near but not = 0
SSB: 0%
RTTY: 0%
FM/NBFM: 0%
Other modes: 0%

VHF/UHF (all modes): 0%

Well, how far up did spark go?

I wasn't there with a spectrum analyzer. Ask Jim. He might have
been.

In fact, there was NO ARRL and NONE of the amateur radio
enthusiasts were legal! [NO radio regulating agency active in
the USA in 1911] :-)

No, *all* activity on radio was legal. Anything not specifically
outlawed is legal.

Yes and no. The LAW defines what is legal and what is illegal.
Without the LAW specifically covering it, it is neither legal nor
illegal.

By the way the Radio Club of America DID exist in 1911.

The radio regulations came later.

Of course. 1912. But the implication of the "1961 Poll" is rather
obvious to tout CW (on-off keying). Especially considering the
source of that posting.

1961 was 43 years ago. Times change. Technology changes.

There was NO personal computer in 1961 except for a few with
lots and lots of money. Very few. In 2003 one family in five in the
USA had some kind of Internet access...that makes it roughly
60 million folks a year ago. One out of three USA citizens has a
cell phone subscription now, or roughly 100 million of those.

We can mumble all sorts of things about the PAST, but that is just
mumbling, having little relevance to the present and future.