Old December 21st 04, 05:09 AM
bb

Kelly says, """There's a reality out there which has been completely
missed in this
thread. GPS is not the only game in the sat-nav biz."""

It might as well be. Accurate, reliable...

Kelly says, """ The Russians have a similar system up and running and I
understand that it's very good."""

Is it like their weather satellites that they turn off over the
Americas to save power?

Kelly says, """The EU just announced that they are tossing a massive
pile of funds at
the development and deployment of their new system."""

Bout time they did something other than mooch off of our system.

Kelly says, """The Japanese are mulling the same possibility."""

ditto.

Kelly says, """Sat-nav systems are not about this "national security"
crappola,"""

Sure it is. That's we we designed in Selective Availability,
Encryption, and the ability to turn it OFF. It is a DoD Weapons
System, after all.

Kelly goes on to say, """it's about a global free-market competition
for YOUR MONEY."""

Odd, I don't recall ever seeing a user fee implemented for the Air
Force's GPS.

Kelly, using his "real military experience," goes on to say, """The
messages I'm getting are (a) If the androids in DC shut down or disable
precision GPS "in the name of national security" all we'll have to do
eventually is switch to one of it's competitors who could care
less about what the androids do to GPS. (b) GPS will be, or maybe
already is, a lump of artifact technology vs. these newer systems and
could quite conceivably wind up withering to nothingness on this
basis."""

Wowee, Kelly is getting messages from the Pentagon (hi, hi). They are
telling him that the Euro system is doing their damndest to be
compatible with the USA system. Real military experience and not a
clue.

Kelly, BOL grasping the concept, the execution, and the reality of GPS.