Old December 24th 04, 10:43 PM
JAMES HAMPTON

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
ganews.com...
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:31:37 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Should I have two friends in England and both were amateur radio

operators,
could I legally ask for one to pass a message to the other to meet on a
particular repeater? This would *not* be with a special event station.
Would passing traffic through a ham to another ham be considered 3rd

party?

This prohibition [against passing third-party traffic with a

statsion whose Licensing Administration does not have an a
third-party traffic agreement with the US] does not apply to a
message for any third party who is eligible to be a control
operator of the station.

Notice the last sentence.

That would make it OK if the message was from the UK ham through
a US ham to another US hams, because FCC rules are applicable
only to stations authorized by the FCC by specific or blanket
license.

I really don't know if in the UK, a similar permission exists
and whether the "second" operator can be designated as a control
operator of the "first" ham's station. Some Administrations
allow this, others do not.

Perhaps Alun (who holds a UK licence) can enlighten us.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Hello, Phil

I'm sure you'll note the answer I made to the reply. Since not all licensed
amateur might be able to be the control operator of the station based upon
individual circumstances (such as mode, band, etc.), this could prove
interesting.

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA