Old December 25th 04, 02:39 AM
Phil Kane

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:17:51 GMT, robert casey wrote:

I am *not* a lawyer, but in such a situation, I'd suspect I'd want to cover
my rear end with boiler plate and be able to show proof that the
installation is guaranteed, by someone other than myself, for winds higher
than have ever existed in the area.

A "Professional Engineer" can do that, if he signs the paperwork
and adds his license number to it. But not all PEs will do
a tower, as any guy not familiar with towers is not gonna risk
getting their license pulled.

Yup. One of the major reasons that Civil Engineering PE licensees
get disciplined in those states with which I am familiar with is
doing/signing structural work (such as tower design/certification)
without holding the required Structural Engineering co-license.
Close on the heels of that in all disciplines is signing off on work
that the licensee did not do or supervise or was not competent to do
in the first place.

Not to mention what his/her malpractice insurance company will
do in those circumstances.

(As you probably know, in the real world of practically any
profession, statutes and regulations do not have nearly as much
leverage compared to the pressure that the insurance companies
can exercise.)

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane