Old December 29th 04, 03:58 PM
Mike Coslo

Barry OGrady wrote:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:27:19 -0800 (PST), "Phil Kane" wrote:

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:04:32 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

The FCC is now allowing unlicensed operation in several bands: 6 GHz, 17
GHz and 24 GHz bands, are you concerned about the impact it will have on
Hams?

How many people here even use the GHz bands?

Are there enough Hams to even justify further use?

They used to say the same thing about the bands above 2 meters.

There are no bands above 2 meters. Where you thinking of two metres?

Ahhhh, now I get it. Here we use "meter" as the spelling where you would
use "metres". Just like color vs. colour.

We lost 220-222 MHz. That isn't important unless all the 2m and 3/4m
frequency pairs are used up. It's getting that way here in Ducktown.

Do you have more repeaters than hams?

It can be a problem! In my investigations into near space ballooning, we
are pretty much prevented from using 2 meters for a band unless we go
for a simplex repeater. There are a LOT of 2 meter repeaters. Just about
everywhere we would be hitting a lot of repeaters when we keyed up from
100,000 feet. So we will probably use the 70 centimeter band for our
repeater.

- Mike KB3EIA -