Old December 30th 04, 03:30 PM
Mike Coslo

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , PAMNO
(N2EY) writes:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

I see that the FCC is not anticipating any changes in the Morse code
licensing requirements before 2006.

Where did you see that, Mike?

http://www.arrl.org/?news_list_off=15

Well, they've been right about it so far. Way back in 2003 they said "at
least
two years" which seemed incredible at the time. Many of us thought they'd
just
dump Element 1 by MO&O (if that's the right acronym) in a few weeks/months.
There were even several petitions to that effect. But it's pretty clear that
FCC is going the whole NPRM route, and in no big hurry to do so.

I hope it's true.

I want the situation to stabilize. In a world where the testing
requirements are in a state of flux - and it is a given that the testing
regimin is likely to get easier, not more difficult - many people will
take the path of least resistance and wait until requirements are
dropped.

I think a few people will. Just as some people will wait until an item drops
below a certain price before they'll buy one, or replace the one they've got.

Status quo MUST be held as long as possible...? :-)

Why?

However I don't think there are large numbers of people waiting for Element 1
to go away before they get their amateur licenses.

The only ones who've claimed "large numbers" is the ARRL in
their regular propaganda "news." :-)

Actually, in the hobby activities in the USA, amateur radio is NOT
very high on the list. That's reality, despite all the self-interest of
the very ardent ham fanatics.

Assuming that we place stock in the popularity of a hobby as the reason
for getting into the hobby. I don't get into hobbies because other
people are into them, I get into them because they interest me.

That is *if* they are dropped. But as I noted, there is always
*someone* to say that the element one test is going to be eliminated
"any day now"...

It's been a year and a half since WRC 2003 and there's no change in sight.
NPRM
cycles are long enough that it's very reasonable to expect no action until
2006. So once again, ARRL news is right on the money.

If the ARRL says it, it MUST be true. :-)

I see no reason to disbelieve the story. Have some evidence that it
might not be credible?

Belief system is working well, we see...

Of course there are always a noisy few who will say they're going to get a
ham
license, but who never seem to get the proverbial round tuit. I recall one
very
regular poster here who told us, way back in January 2000, that he was going
for Extra "right out of the box". He just didn't say *when*. Shall we
continue
to lower the standards of the ARS to accomodate such people? I say no.

Of course not...morsemanship is the very HIGHEST attainable
goal in radio amateurism.

Incorrect.

All MUST aspire to be the best "radio
operator" circa 1930s era if they are amateurs.

Incorrect.
And with very
rigid, inflexible rules of behavior as if the hobby were a sort of
profession where all rules MUST be followed.

I don't know how "rigid" the rules are, but yes there are rules to
follow, and most of them seem straightforward enough.

Removing the morse test is a 1930-standards "dumbing down."
Can't have that! Time is held in stasis in amateurism and all must
remain as it was when all the superextras took Their tests. It
has no validity in this new millennium.

After all, when the morse test is eliminated, all those superextras
won't have much to brag about, will they? :-)

Your mythical superextra will then have MORE to brag about, and they
will be able to sit back in their lounge chair or around the pot bellied
stove, puff out their chests and proclaim how they had to pass the REAL
tests, and on and on and on and on.......

- mike KB3EIA -