Old December 31st 04, 01:18 AM
Mike Coslo

robert casey wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

I don't know how "rigid" the rules are, but yes there are rules to
follow, and most of them seem straightforward enough.

Most of the rules are sensible enough. Even that one about
"no pecuniary interest". That rule exists to protect our
ham bands from being taken over by business people who
happen to have amateur licenses. We don't want taxi companies
clogging 2 meters.

And how!

Some rules are a bit strange in the sense that it doesn't
take more skill to operate on 14.165 SSB than at 14.323 SSb.
The FCC did it because it's very easy to determine your
carrier frequency from a remote location. It's a lot
harder for them to figure out how much power you are
running unless they pay you a visit.

- mike KB3EIA -