Old January 3rd 05, 07:19 PM
Lenof21

In article , (Jeffrey Herman)
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

But, in 2004, U.S. radio amateurs MUST still pass a morse test
to "qualify" for operating an amateur radio transmitter on HF. No
other radio service (other than certain Maritime radio services)
require morsemanship testing.

Since you opened the door, let's do some further comparisons of the ARS to
other services:

* We purposely operate using as little power as possible (QRP), they don't

Heh heh heh. Crock of something. All one has to do is listen
to the HF bands during contests and observe the S-Meter readings.

Tsk. The military has built-in "QRP" (equivalent) controls to HF
through UHF transceivers and has done so since at least 1989.

* We have antenna measuring contests with home-built antennas, they don't

Most other radio services use already-measured antennas with
professional installations plus more measurements after
installations. No "contests" needed. :-)

* We conduct emergency comms when other services are down, they're down

Another crock. Tsk. You should see some of the urban
emergency services' communications facilities, their training
plans, listen to their on-air exercises and drills.

Better yet, live through a real, live emergency and see how the
entire network can operate with "work-arounds." Case in point:
The 1994 Northridge Earthquake in Los Angeles where all the
public safety and utility companies' were "netted" together to
keep things going. The only thing "down" was buildings, poles,
etc., but the emergency power was there and working...even
though the primary AC power to 10 million was cut off for hours.

* We don't have to operate on pre-assigned frequencies, they do

Tsk. Ham repeaters "operate on pre-assigned frequencies."
:-)

Radio amateurs are obliged BY LAW to stay WITHIN their
allocated bands. See Part 97, Title 47 C.F.R.

* We have on-the-air contests (lots of them), they can't

"They can't?!?" Why should "they?"

Broadcasters have "sweeps" periods...which have more at
stake than winning fancy certificates.

* We can vary our power from 0 to 2KW, they can't

Please, make a QSO with 0 KW RF output. I dare ya. :-)

[Yes, I've heard that "CW gets through when nothing else will"
but ham transmitters need SOME kind of electric power... :-) ]

* We exchange post cards after a QSO, they don't

Wow! [a big Ben Stein "wow..."]

Post cards from the edge? :-)

I know of no non-amateur radio organization who has a "QSL Buro."

* We're frequency-agile with a VFO, they aren't

Not all of you. A few of you "own" a frequency. :-)

International Civil Aviation regulations (also FAA) allow aircraft to
change any communications frequency they need over the
entire civil aviation band.

Several HF-using radio services are allowed to change frequencies
as needed to continue communications. See ALE (Automatic
Link Establishment) as done by government agencies...or the
maritime radio services on HF or on VHF in harbor and inland
waterways. [just a few examples]

* We have swapmeets ("ham fests"), they don't

Non-ham licensees have NO NEED of "ham fests." :-)

* We can build our own equipment, they can't

Untrue, even in broadcasting service. Get details on studio
electronics in broadcasting sometime.

The major reason that there's so little "homebuilding" with other
(non-ham) radio services is CO$T. Cheaper to buy ready-made
than to homebrew.

* We operate for the fun of it, they don't

First thing you've written that is close to the truth...

* We have radio club meetings, they don't

WRONG. The very first radio club is the Radio Club of America,
incorporated 1909 (five years before the ARRL and before every
other local/national radio club here). RCA is still alive and meeting
but they've gone away from amateurism. They have a website with
lots of informative, historical data there.

* We can ragchew for hours, they can't

You don't listen to "Talk Radio" do you? :-)

Tsk. Almost every radio service (other than broadcasting) has a
form of "ragchewing," including the military.

* We can operate at will, they can't

As long as you don't operate ON Will, it's okay...unless you are
an MD. You can operate WITH a Will if you are an attorney. :-)

* We go on DXpeditions, they don't

Cook and Magellan had amateur radio licenses? Columbus?
Vasco de Gama?

Hams "discover" the undiscovered country? I don't think so.

* We're licensed, you're not

WRONG! I have several licenses. :-)

I just don't have an amateur radio license.

I could show you my poetic license ability but then I'd have to
bill you for services. :-)

No 73 for you, Jeff KH6O

Tsk. No "best regards?" Not even an "88?" :-)

Lecture on those numbers, sweetums. Close your classroom door
on the way out. Bye....