Old January 4th 05, 10:12 AM
K4YZ

Lenof21 wrote:
In article ,

(Jeffrey Herman)
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

But, in 2004, U.S. radio amateurs MUST still pass a morse test
to "qualify" for operating an amateur radio transmitter on HF.

No
other radio service (other than certain Maritime radio services)
require morsemanship testing.

Since you opened the door, let's do some further comparisons of the

ARS to
other services:

* We purposely operate using as little power as possible (QRP), they

don't

Heh heh heh. Crock of something. All one has to do is listen
to the HF bands during contests and observe the S-Meter readings.

Please, Lennie..tell us all about your SWLing activites on ANY
band. Got bored listening to LAX ATIS or AWOS...???

Tsk. The military has built-in "QRP" (equivalent) controls to HF
through UHF transceivers and has done so since at least 1989.

Not all of them, Lennie.

* We have antenna measuring contests with home-built antennas, they

don't

Most other radio services use already-measured antennas with
professional installations plus more measurements after
installations. No "contests" needed.

"Other radio services" are not interested in improving antenna
efficiency. Indeed, many antenna systems are installed with the intent
to attenuate radiation in certain patterns!

* We conduct emergency comms when other services are down, they're

down

Another crock. Tsk. You should see some of the urban
emergency services' communications facilities, their training
plans, listen to their on-air exercises and drills.

And Leonard H. Anderson once again makes a really assinine comment
in the face of contemporary, independently reported fact to the
contrary.

Better yet, live through a real, live emergency and see how the
entire network can operate with "work-arounds." Case in point:
The 1994 Northridge Earthquake in Los Angeles where all the
public safety and utility companies' were "netted" together to
keep things going. The only thing "down" was buildings, poles,
etc., but the emergency power was there and working...even
though the primary AC power to 10 million was cut off for hours.

Here we have Lennie once again retelling his tale of single-handed
stay-at-home heroism of an event that happend over a decade ago.

Of course it's the ONLY example he has to use.

And the really ironic part is that Lennie's the one who's always
lambasitng us (Amateurs) for "living in the past", etc.

At least it's a bit more "modern" than his tales of Korean War era
heroism in a rear area Army radio relay station is the mid fifties.

* We don't have to operate on pre-assigned frequencies, they do

Tsk. Ham repeaters "operate on pre-assigned frequencies."

They are not "assigned", Lennie.

Radio amateurs are obliged BY LAW to stay WITHIN their
allocated bands. See Part 97, Title 47 C.F.R.

Uh huh. Bands YOU are not authorized to use, I might add!

* We have on-the-air contests (lots of them), they can't

"They can't?!?" Why should "they?"

Broadcasters have "sweeps" periods...which have more at
stake than winning fancy certificates.

* We can vary our power from 0 to 2KW, they can't

Please, make a QSO with 0 KW RF output. I dare ya.

Almost close to a funny, Lennie!

[Yes, I've heard that "CW gets through when nothing else will"
but ham transmitters need SOME kind of electric power...]

* We exchange post cards after a QSO, they don't

Wow! [a big Ben Stein "wow..."]

Post cards from the edge? :-)

I know of no non-amateur radio organization who has a "QSL Buro."

* We're frequency-agile with a VFO, they aren't

Not all of you. A few of you "own" a frequency.

Uhhhhhh....None of us "own" a frequency.

Not even GROL licensed ex-technicians with no station license.

International Civil Aviation regulations (also FAA) allow aircraft

change any communications frequency they need over the
entire civil aviation band.

Those ARE assigned frequencies. And they may NOT change to ANY
frequency over the ENTIRE civil aviation band, Lennie.

Several HF-using radio services are allowed to change frequencies
as needed to continue communications. See ALE (Automatic
Link Establishment) as done by government agencies...or the
maritime radio services on HF or on VHF in harbor and inland
waterways. [just a few examples]

Again...Discreet, assigned frequencies by international
convention.

* We have swapmeets ("ham fests"), they don't

Non-ham licensees have NO NEED of "ham fests."

* We can build our own equipment, they can't

Untrue, even in broadcasting service. Get details on studio
electronics in broadcasting sometime.

Sorry...broadcast facilities MUST use FCC type accepted gear,
Lennie.

A REAL "radio professional" would know that.

The major reason that there's so little "homebuilding" with other
(non-ham) radio services is CO$T. Cheaper to buy ready-made
than to homebrew.

"Cheaper" than the FCC fine which would accompany the use of
non-type accepted equipment.

* We operate for the fun of it, they don't

First thing you've written that is close to the truth...

* We have radio club meetings, they don't

WRONG. The very first radio club is the Radio Club of America,
incorporated 1909 (five years before the ARRL and before every
other local/national radio club here). RCA is still alive and

meeting
but they've gone away from amateurism. They have a website with
lots of informative, historical data there.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....1909...Pre-dates the ARRL by 6 years...How
does this fit in to your rants about US relying on ARRL, Lennie...???

* We can ragchew for hours, they can't

You don't listen to "Talk Radio" do you?

Participants on "talk radio" do it via telephone, not two way
radio.

Tsk. Almost every radio service (other than broadcasting) has a
form of "ragchewing," including the military.

* We can operate at will, they can't

As long as you don't operate ON Will, it's okay...unless you are
an MD. You can operate WITH a Will if you are an attorney. :-)

It's amazing what you will append with a smiley, Lennie. You're
really impressed with yourself, aren't you...???

* We go on DXpeditions, they don't

Cook and Magellan had amateur radio licenses? Columbus?
Vasco de Gama?

Hams "discover" the undiscovered country? I don't think so.

Sure they have. And before Leonard H. Anderson was old enough to
stick his banana-peeler into his diaper and wonder why the pudding
tasted so bad.

* We're licensed, you're not

WRONG! I have several licenses.

I just don't have an amateur radio license.

That's the first thing YOU have gotten right, Lennie.

I could show you my poetic license ability but then I'd have to
bill you for services.

If it's over $1.25, you're ripping folks off.

No 73 for you, Jeff KH6O

Tsk. No "best regards?" Not even an "88?" :-)

Lecture on those numbers, sweetums. Close your classroom door
on the way out. Bye....

Be still my heart..could Lennie TRULY be leaving...???
Naaaaaah....No one is THAT lucky!

Steve, K4YZ