Old March 4th 04, 11:39 AM
Dave

"Jason Dugas" wrote in message
The 1994 ARRL Handbook states that I should avoid any contact between
reinforcement bars and metallic objects in the base of the tower, itself,
since it would provide a direct discharge path for lightning through the
base. "Should such a discharge occur, the concrete base would likely
explode and bring about the collapse of the tower."

Another amateur and myself argued over whether, in the entire history of

the
world, this ever happened???? Has anyone or do you know of anyone

directly
that has had catastrophic failure of a tower, because of the concrete base
exploding? This seems like a rather remote possibility, but I'd like to
hear any horror stories you might have with this and whether anyone has
photos of an "exploded concrete base" due to lightning.

I realize its certainly possible and the physics is there to make it

happen,
but has anyone screwed up a tower so badly that the concrete base exploded
and the tower collapsed??

Thanks & 73,

Jason

it is possible for steam explosions to blow pieces out of the surface of
concrete structures but i have never heard of one big enough to damage a
base enough to threaten the structure.