Old January 17th 05, 09:56 PM
Todd Daugherty

Default Content Control

Content Control
I had recently started broadcasting my N9OGL Show on 28.555 MHz at 9.00 pm
CST. On my first broadcast I talked about content control in the amateur
radio service. Amateur Radio is on the eve of dying; The reason it's dying
isn't because the lack of amateurs in the service. No the reason it's dying
is content control. Amateur radio is dying because amateur's are under the
belief that the FCC can control the content of an amateur station. As a
matter of fact Mr. Hollingsworth of the FCC wanted me to let him know when I
was going on the air so he QSL me. The QSL he's talking about is in the form
of a warning letter, a C&D, NOV, or a NOF. Section 326 of the Communication
Act of 1934 is a statue that prohibits the FCC from controlling the content
of ANY radio stations. It also prohibits the FCC from creating rules and
regulations which would suppress free speech on the radio. The FCC of course
under other rules and regulations can regulate obscene and indecent
material. Now there are many out there including the ARRL who believe that
this rule doesn't apply to amateur radio. It of course is not true, this
statue along with all the other sections of the Communication Act apply in
one shape or another to amateur radio and the FCC. Let me enlighten you on a
little history that starts in the 1980's. In the 1980's and 1990's packet
radio was a big thing. Let me tell you when I first got into amateur radio I
thought packet was neat. I mean I would stay up all night and play on packet
till the sun came up and then head off to work. This of course was in
1991-1992 when I had first gotten my license. But, there was one thing I
noticed; I had gotten into the local BBS system to read the latest messages
and then I went through the network and got into the BBS over in Australia
and guess what? It was the same crap. Many people believe think packet radio
died from the speed in reality packet died because of the content. The same
will happen eventually to amateur radio. I mean who would spend the time and
money on getting a ham license when every thing a amateur radio operator can
do a person can do on the internet. I mean don't get me wrong talking all
over the world on the radio is neat and all; but you can also do that on the
internet. I mean would a average person spend the time and money to get a
ham license to talk on the radio to give their name, location, power output,
antenna height, and weather report to some smock over seas or get on the
internet where content control isn't a problem. I guess what I'm getting at
is for amateur radio to really grow amateurs must get rid of this idea of
content control. Because what's really going to happen is their going to
loose to technologies which don't have that restriction. For Amateur radio
to grow, Amateur's are going to have to adapt to new idea's. The problem is
the ARRL, their members and the FCC which tries to suppress or control the
content. So I'm broadcasting in an amateur band at night when it's not in
use. Big fricking deal at lease I using it. I mean so what if broadcasting
information to the amateur radio community which may be a small value to the
Amateurs. So what if I'm on there for a hour and half voice my opinion about
problems and issues in amateur radio. At lease I have a opinion and I'm not
some drone of the ARRL who believes everything the ARRL says. That's the
reason I'm broadcasting to voice my opinion's about issues in amateur radio,
to let people hear what I'm thinking instead of that idle dribble we call
ham radio. I'm a strong believer in free speech and I believe there are
problems in amateur radio and feel my voice needs to be heard.
Todd N9OGL