Old July 18th 03, 05:42 AM
Drewdawg

snipped for a smaller response
"WBRW" wrote in message
New Jersey's longest-running AM Stereo station, 930 WPAT in Paterson,
is now the first in the state -- and the second in the New York City
area -- to begin testing iBiquity's IBOC/"HD Radio" digital AM system.

Also, the digital data sidebands -- that now extend all
the way from 915 through 945 kHz on the dial -- will now cause a
constant "hash" or loud static type of noise to nearby channels such
as 910, 920, 940, and 950 kHz, as well as a constant hiss in the
background of 930 WPAT's own signal.

At my location in Somerset County, NJ, I hear WPAT's digital signal
causing a constant hiss in the background of 910 WRKL and 950 WPEN, as
well a loud "hash" on 920 kHz that severely degrades my reception of
otherwise perfectly clear WPHY, to the point where WPHY's signal is
only marginally intelligible. The "hash" on the other side of WPAT's
signal also prevents any chance of being able to receive 940 WADV.

IMHO this confirms what many of us believed from the beginning; IBOC is
incompatible with analog AM. When HD stations start stepping on local AM
second-adjacents, the time has come to re-think IBOC.

P.S.: read again
"as well as a constant hiss in the background of 930 WPAT's own signal."

There is no better proof that AM-IBOC is incompatible with regular AM
radios.