Old July 23rd 03, 02:22 AM
WBRW

Don't forget that the New York Metropolitan area often has more people
of a particular ethnic group than their naive counties have.

That must be why we have TWO stations with primarily Russian-language
programming (620 WSNR & 1380 WKDM), and if you count a simulcast, TWO
stations with all-Polish programming (910 WRKL & 1580 WLIM). But yet,
the nation's #1 music format, Country, does not exist on the air
within 50 miles of NYC. Yes, yes, yes, people say that there simply
aren't that many country music fans within the City itself, and
they're correct -- but any decent NYC-area signal will cover plenty of
the surrounding suburban areas were there *are* many country fans.
"Y-107" proved this, with its lousy-ass signal getting better ratings
-- even within the NYC market itself -- than what "Barbie Radio" is
getting on a full-power heritage NYC FM station.

They lost their major outlet (WEVD) to make room for the third all sports
station in the city.

Well, *second* all-sports station, since 620 WSNR is now only
"Sporting Radio News" when it feels like it. (Strange, but true -- a
"flagship" station that doesn't carry its own network's programming
most of the time.)

If you were to see a man on the street patting his male companion on
the butt, what would you think? If you saw one of them bent over with
the other with his hands between his companion's legs, what would you
think? There are no women around. Yet we spend billions to watch
allegedly heterosexual men do the same thing on TV.

Umm... not that I disagree with you, but what does this have to do
with radio?

However, since you got me thinking, could this be the reason why
soccer has never been popular in America... because it's not
homoerotic enough? :-)

Strange.

....but true.