Old August 6th 03, 03:14 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Steven J. Sobol wrote:
Today I was at the website for another Dayton TV station, WHIO-TV 7. Their
website also has information on Dayton's UPN station. Dayton's UPN station
is apparently at Channel 44.

I've never heard of two TV stations in the same market separated by one
position on the dial. I know that for technical reasons, you can't do that
with radio, and I'm trying to figure out how it's being done here.

I believe "UPN 44" is on cable only.
http://www.greaterdayton.com/localinfo.shtml (not conclusive but
suggestive)

The Dayton FCC listing includes all of the stations that were there when
I was in school (2, 7, 16, 22, 45), an active HDTV license on Channel 30,
and HDTV applications on 41, 50 and 58. And there is an LP license on
Channel 66. Nothing on 44.

I can't find anything about a over-the-air 44 there either.
That said...

Such things are no longer impossible. It looks like part of the big
overhaul of the rules for DTV included relaxation of the channel-spacing
requirements.

Look, for example, at Philadelphia where WFPA-CA, a Class A (low-power
analog) station operates on channel 28 within a mile of full-power WTXF
channel 29. Or, in Boston, where full-power WFXT on channel 25 is
surrounded by low-power stations WFXZ-CA (24) and WHDN-LP (26). (they
even managed to shoehorn in a 3,000-watt LPTV on channel 3 in Boston,
between WGBH on 2 and WBZ on 4. W38CL tried to get a permit to use
channel 3 in the Bronx but failed...)

Even here in Nashville, we have a low-power station on channel 26 - a
full-power DTV on 27 - and a full-power analog about 30 miles east of
town on 28.

Now, you still can't use adjacent channels for full-power analog
stations. But you can definitely get a DTV in adjacent to a full-power
analog; and you can also get a low-power analog adjacent to a full-power
analog.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66