Old August 20th 03, 03:38 PM
David Eduardo

"gbfmif" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

Stop there. Adevertisers determine where ad money will be spent. When
station reps or sellers call, if they do not offer the target deemo,

they
are wasting their time.

thus the problem being identified. Just because the sales folks or ad

folks
ignore this demo today only seems that they will be replaced in not too

distant
future. Guess my point is follow the money.

The issue is not the money. It is how much ad cost per sale it will talke to
convince mature persons to change thier established and less fluid buying
patterns. So far, the bulk of advertisers have determined that the cost is
greater than the gain.

Very, very few advertisers use radio to reach 55+ consumers, whatever

their
income level. The main reason is a belief, backed by tons of research,

that
older consumers are more set in buying patterns and thus require much

more
advertising (repetiton) to be convinced to change.

can not argue with this on general principal - again - follow the money -

the %
of disposable $ very soon is not going to be teens but all of us old farts

as
the snake continues to swallow the elephant - just my opinion and your

test
obviously show I am dead wrong - but lets talk again in another 10 years

and see
what the deal is then :-)

At the risk of redundancy, it is not about income. It is about how many
impressions an ad has to make on a consumer before they will consider trying
a brand or changing from thier present brand.

Those who do target 55+ ususally use specialized magazines (AARP, for
example) and special interest publications (like travel magazines,

finance
magazines, etc.) since they are efficient in reaching 55+ persons.

So decide which side you are arguing - think these publications are doing

OK and
are increasing distribution and revenue (though I may just be old)

The difference is that these national publications are extremely cost
effcient with no spillage and can be target to travelers, hobbyists,
investors, etc. Radio is far broader.

You are an exceptional person in this group. A significant portion of
Americans reaching retirement age have savings under $100,000 (think it

is
90% plus) and will live on $1200 in monthly SS payments. Most retired
persons have extensive credit card debt, since they use the card to

finance
emergencies, and then gto for years paying it down.

OK - even if all us old farts are broke and deep in debt, the card

companies and
banks keep letting us buy, though I doubt these statistics as they apply

to the
present 50 to 60 age group, maybe for present 70+ folks your numbers

work - what
you got for the current 50 to 60 group?

50 to 60 is transitional. Social Security does not kick in before 62; ful
benefits are not available until age 65, the same age that Medicare
eligibility is established. However, there are many under-60 retirees who
have done 25 years in the military, some government services, etc... or have
been early retired. Most are on private or government pensions, and they are
still mature persons who have more established buying habits than the
younger adult demos.

Where you shop or how much you spend is not the issue. It is how much in
dollars per person an advertiser would spend to get you to quit buying
Metamucil at Wal-Mart and start getting it at Target. The conclusion by

most
is that changing life-long brand preference is more expensive to change

than
the profit on several years consumption of Metamucil, even if you use

really
heaping tablespoons full.

Again - this may be true today, but the elephant is getting to be toward

the
back of that snake and that elephant has lots of disposable $ compared to

current 15 year old population. I would think that at some point ad and
marketing folks would at least look at this reality. Or maybe I am just

old an
senile and unrealistic

When advertisers find the dollars at stake warrant a greater investment
based on greater returns, the ad targets will change. First, though,
manufacturers have to be sure ht9ier product targets this age via labeling,
sizes, appetite appeal, style, etc. as applicable.

Most ad dictates for anything except pure local retail come form a corporate
marketing level, not local.