Old August 24th 03, 07:29 PM
Mark Jeffries

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message ...
"David Eduardo" wrote in message

Anyone here remember the "Your Hit Parade" TV show of the late 50's with
Snooky Lanson, Dorothy Collins, etc? The four staff singers of this

national
show did their versions of the week's top songs "all across America."

You children don't seem to remember the "Fitch Bandwagon" from the late 30s
/ early 40s. Songs were "sung so clearly you can understand every word".
Wasn't Larry Clinton the band leader and Bea Wain one of the vocalists?
Clearly hits were thought to be national back then.

I wasn't around back then, but in all my readings of OTR and listening
to Chuck Schaden in Chicago, I would've sworn that it was "Manhattan
Merry-Go-Round" where the announcer said that the songs were sung so
clearly that you could understand every word. And people complained
about rock music fifteen years later...

Along those same lines, I have to chortle when I see someone giving a
tribute to Bob Hope saying how clean his comedy was instead of today's
"depravity." According to the Library of Congress' extremely
impressive web site on Hope's career, more than once at the height of
his radio popularity in the 40s NBC execs wanted to drop him because
they felt his show was too *off-color* (but obviously didn't). Plus
ca change...

Are people sixty years from now going to be reminiscing about how
family-friendly Howard Stern was?