Old August 25th 03, 11:44 PM
Carl Navarro

On 24 Aug 2003 18:29:09 GMT, (Ian) wrote:

If this is the wrong n/group for this query, then sorry! and point
me off to the right one, if you will.

Thing is, I'm thinking seriously about going in for a digital radio, since
hearing a Business World programme about it on the BBC World Service recently.
(This would be used in the home, not as a car radio.)

Now, is there a Best Buy?
As I'm no longer able to see a damn thing, I'd ideally be looking
for a receiver that doesn't require you to look at a display panel
to get information on what mode or channel or whatever you're
currently in or on, as most good radios now seem to.

Wow! Just for fun, I turned on the Visual accesibility and changed
the screen to 640x480. If you can read this, you can read the XMPC
guide.

XMPC is $70 plus shipping and tax from PC Connections and the $9.95
per month fee for the first radio. It is really nice in that you can
set your favorite channels and it will monitor what's on. You can
even set it to pop up you favorite shows.

I have mine connected to a set of Logitec external speakers (the kind
with the sub-woofer, but I have used the cable to feed my souncard and
Total Recorder PE to capture the history of music.

I like to listen to the NASCAR, Decades and Country, Online Tonight,
and Old-Time Radio/Sonic Theater channels the most. Online Tonight
has tons of self-promoting commercials and I've never heard it live,
so I don't know if the musical breaks fill in for commercials. Pretty
much the rest of the channels have mostly promos in place of
commercials.

HTH

Carl Navarro