Old September 19th 03, 08:58 PM
Mark Harvey

Default First attempt at an all-news or an "all-news-and-talk" station in Canada?

Hello, everybody!

I would like to know if anybody knows what was the first attempt, in
Canada, to establish either an all-news or an "all-news-and-talk" radio
station?

I always used to think that it was the CKO Radio Network, which
flourished from 1977 to 1989.

However, I recently found out that Vancouver Radio station CKNW made a
brief flirtation with an all-news format, from 1969 to 1970. Therefore,
this was more than seven years before CKO went on the air!

In fact, when they switched to the all-news format, they even changed
their call letters to CKVN (the "VN" standing for Voice of News)! This
new format did not last long; within less than two years, they decided
to go back to being a music radio station, and they changed their call
letter back to CFUN. Nevertheless, I give them credit for trying! It
certainly was a noble experiment!

Does anybody know, was there even an attempt to establish an all-news or
"all-news-and-talk" station in Canada even *before* CFUN made that
attempt to become one? If so, could someone please provide me with the
details?

Thanks in advance for answering my question!

Talk to y'all later!
--

Keep smiling! Have a nice day!

Mark Harvey

* For direct replies, take the 'NOSPAM' out of my e-mail address!