Old September 21st 03, 01:45 AM
Mark Howell

On 19 Sep 2003 19:58:24 GMT, (Al Dykes) wrote:

For as long as I can remember I've been hearing sound bytes
of the president's radio braodcast on my local radio news
but I've never heard an entire speech, or any reference
to a real live radio station associated with it.

When did it become a regular thing and how is it done ?

IIRC it began in the Reagan administration. President Reagan, who
began his working life in radio, was granted five minutes per week by
the national radio networks to address the nation, "unfiltered" as it
were. Democrats were then granted equal time to reply. Every
president since then has continued the tradition, and the opposition
party has continued to provide responses. But fewer stations carry
them nowadays.

Mark Howell