Old September 25th 03, 03:46 PM
John Byrns

In article , inch (Peter
H.) wrote:

Some RCA 5Ks and 10Ks were designed as two-phase, and, consequently, have four
rectumfier (sic) tubes.

They were actually Thyratrons used as rectifiers, the plate voltage, and
hence power output could be adjusted by varying the firing angle of the
grid, sort of like the modern light dimmer in your dining room.

This might be called a "four phase" rectifier in the same way as a
three-phase, full-wave rectifier is called a "six phase" rectifier.

To avoid confusion I call it a 4 pulse, or 6 pulse rectifier, as the case
may be.

Oh, these 5Ks and 5Ks actually run on three-phase feeders, as the primaries
are connected in a Scott-T, while the secondaries are connected as two-phase.

Yes.

Buffalo and Philadelphia (including Camden, and undoubtedly RCA's plant as
well) were the last hold-outs of two-phase power in the U.S.

Are you saying that is what inspired RCA to build these transmitters with
a two phase feed to the rectifiers, I think they were the BTA-5G, BTA-10G,
BTA-5H, and BTA-10H?

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at,