Old October 9th 03, 09:27 PM
Diphthong

(Robert Orban) wrote in message ...
Since the HDC codec provides 15 kHz bandwidth in stereo, while analog AM
stereo is limited to perhaps 9.5 kHz (given an ideal receiver and
understanding the absolute need for a 10 kHz carrier-beat filter), the
digital signal will sound far better to anyone whose hearing acuity
extends to 15 kHz, which is the bandwidth commonly accepted as being
necessary for an impression of high fidelity.

The digital signal will also have a noise floor in excess of 90 dB below
100% modulation, making it immune to the static and manmade noise that
has caused so many problems on the band in the last few decades.

Even disregarding the subtleties (of which there are many), these two
factors alone make HD AM dramatically superior to analog AM stereo.

I'd rather put up with some noise and limited bandwidth so long as the
program sounds RIGHT and natural... rather than a strange unnatural
swishing
sound that just happens to have wide bandwidth and low noise floor.

The brain filters out noise and ignores lack of 'highs'.. but when the
whole
sound of the thing is as if it's all come through a satellite
videophone.. yuk!
I've given up on broadcasting as a source of good audio, the only way
to get
good sound is to buy music. And, since I refuse to pay a penny to the
record
companies unless I really can't help myself, this means things have
gotten depressingly limited. Modern life is indeed rubbish.