Old March 5th 04, 11:24 PM
Dave Head

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:10:56 -0600, "Crazy George"
wrote:

Dave:

I've forgotten the exact construction you described, but I suspect you are
going to have to increase the friction between the two tubes by splitting
and clamping the outer. It sounds like the aluminum is simply too thin and
too soft to withstand that kind of torque against a small diameter fastener.

Hi George,

I took the antenna down last weekend (layed it over using the screw operated
hinge base) and, after considering a few alternatives, and trying one
unsuccessfully (new bolt hole - broke off bit), I drilled out the 2 1/4" bolt
holes already there that were holding the hollow mast to the stainless steel
shaft to 3/8". Installed 2 3/8" bolts and tightened them down very tightly.

We've got a moderate wind right now, and the antenna is doing about 5 degrees
of swing, so i think it helped. Will probably tilt it over in a couple weeks,
drill some more 3/8" holes, and tighten them down smartly as well.

BTW, for anyone with a quad that has "hose clamp" construction to hold the
spreaders, it pays to retighten them. Nearly all of mine were stretched, and
this antenna hasn't been up all that long - a few months.

Dave Head
K8DH