Old December 4th 03, 09:21 PM
Mark Roberts

Steven J. Sobol had written:

| Do an FM Search on the FCC's website, on 105.3 in California, and you will
| see KITS, KITS-FM1, KITS-FM2, KITS-FM3, and KITS-FM4 on 105.3.
|
| KITS is San Francisco, FM1 is Walnut Creek, FM2 is Pleasanton, FM3 is
| San Francisco, and FM4 is Antioch. All owned by Infinity...
|
| Can someone explain this? I've never seen it before.

On-channel boosters. The Bay Area's terrain blocks signals from
reaching areas that would otherwise have no problem getting
coverage. The boosters "fill in the blanks", as it were. All but
the San Francisco location are in East Bay communities on the
opposite side of the Oakland and Berkeley hills from San Francisco.
These boosters provide coverage to those communities and the I-680
corridor that connects most of them. There is little or no
interference with the main station largely because the hills
so effectively block the main signal. (I believe there is carrier
synchronization involved as well, but I am not clear on the details.)

You'll see boosters for other stations as well, all in East Bay
communities such as the ones above.

Not sure what the San Francisco KITS booster is doing -- KITS is
transmitting from the Sutro tower which should give reasonably good
coverage of most of the city.

--
Spam tallies at my main address:
November 2002 : 737