Old December 16th 03, 04:12 PM
H Glazer

videonex wrote in message

"FAZAMY" wrote in message
I heard a caller to a local fm station claim over the air that he was

listening
from out of the area on satellite radio.
1. Is this a widespread situation?
2. Why would a local station uplink to satellite radio?

Evan

There are some local stations being carried full time or in pieces by XM
satellite. KIIS-FM in Los Angeles is one example.

XM took Kiss in-house a few weeks ago, except for Rick Dees' morning show.
The rest of the day is hit after hit, on jockless autopilot, with no L.A.
content. In XM's first year, its "Mix" channel was a simulcast of Houston's
"Mix" (not sure of the call letters; I wasn't a subscriber then), but that
was also taken in-house, in November 2002 -- again, it's fully automated and
jockless. According to info found on the XMFan.com bulletin board
(unofficial, of course), both of these channels are programmed by minority
shareholder Clear Channel.

I believe Sirius carries WSM Nashville.

Howard