Old December 20th 03, 01:57 AM
David Eduardo

"videonex" wrote in message

"David Eduardo" wrote in message

That said, I do take issue with a statement that most AM stations are on

the
air to hold the license. Most AM stations are on the air to make money.

Not
all do, but many are among America's top billing stations, and those AMs
with decent signals that cover their markets are successful. And many
smaller AMs that have limited coverage have found great success and

profit
by serving ethnic communities, minority groups or religious followings.

David,

I always value your opinions and find you one the most sane of the

regulars
here. But I did not say that "Most" AMs are only on the air to hold the
license, I said "Many" are. There is a big diff and it is true. What you
said about the successful AMs is also true. I just think that any station
that let's it's quality get that bad is among the ones just holding the
license. If I owned it, it would be in stereo and have the best audio
quality available 24/7. If I couldn't afford to keep it going properly I
would sell it or send the license back to the FCC.

Point taken on the "many" vs. "most" distinction.

Since I am at the West Coast's first regularly operating IBOC AM station, I
can attest to the potential of better quality. AM IBOC on the couple of
receivers we have sounds better than some of the more squashed FMs in the LA
market...

However, there are a "scad" (to avoid having to say either "many" or "most")
of AMs that do not deserve to exist, as they cover very little, or have
miserable facilities and high-Q DAs and no intent to improve. I just wonder
if IBOC may create a band cleansing in the process.