Old December 20th 03, 02:49 AM
Steven J Sobol

Larry W4CSC wrote:
How can ANYONE'S IQ increase listening to 40 minutes of REPEATING
commercials an hour?

But Larry, that's the whole point. Repetition is the key to getting people
to remember the commercial!

My favorite example: Sunland Ford/Lincoln/Mercury in nearby Victorville,
California. I have heard their stupid cutesy slogan and company jingle so
many times I could literally sing it in my sleep. But I remember it.

The worst is when I'm driving over on the west side of Victorville and
I pass their lot and then hear the jingle on the radio. (Happens more often
than you might think.)

Since the High Desert only has one television station (KHIZ-TV 64 in
Victorville), most of the residents of this area get their local programming
from the Los Angeles television stations via satellite or cable. Well, Sunland
has bought copious amounts of advertising time from the local cable company
too. And it's not even a few different spots, it's the same one. Over, and
over, and over, ad nauseum. I'm sure that if it is possible to buy local or
regional advertising slots from DirecTV and DISH, they have done that too.

It would seem that listening to Clear Channel would only tend to melt
the brain into a mass resembling chocolate pudding.....

It's not a Clear Channel thing. Commercials are just as annoying on everyone
else's broadcast channels too. And while there are a few truly innovative,
entertaining or thought-provoking ad campaigns, most of them just... suck.

--
JustThe.net Internet & New Media Services
22674 Motnocab Road * Apple Valley, CA 92307-1950