Old December 22nd 03, 01:17 AM
Larry W4CSC

The other thing that REALLY turns me off is when they run out of
things to say/do and start saying "News Talk 1250, WTMA" over and over
and over ad nauseum. "News Talk 730, WSC" (WSCC is more ashamed of
its call letters. Being a Clear Channel station, they think they
should be able to use RCA's WSC station call, assigned to marine band
use.)

Dan Moon, who switched from 1250 to 730 after being on WTMA for 30
years, once asked the call in listeners what they never wanted to hear
on WTMA, again. I called in and waited my turn after 6 spots played.
"Dan, if I never heard 'News Talk 1250, WTMA' again, it wouldn't be
too soon. Every one of us out here listening KNOWS what the station's
call letters are and KNOWS what frequency it is on. We don't need to
be told 37 times every 10 minutes. Why don't you put on some music if
you all run out of things to talk about." His answer was truly funny
and he didn't want to talk to me further. Three more callers followed
me up. I swear it was uncoordinated, but very effective. It took 'em
three weeks to get the self-promotion spots back up to 37 every 10
minutes in the aftermath.

Over on Clear Channel's WSCC, ol' Dan says the call letters/frequency
nearly continuously, now. Of course, he says WSC, not their real call
until the hour when they have a quickie spot to satisfy the FCC.

I'm for an FCC regulation on all of them that makes it ILLEGAL to say
the stations call letters EXCEPT once during the 2-minute-to-the-hour
requirement and makes it illegal to quote the station's frequency all
together! Any takers?!

Larry W4CSC

NNNN