Old December 22nd 03, 06:16 AM
Mike Ward

On 22 Dec 2003 01:17:53 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Over on Clear Channel's WSCC, ol' Dan says the call letters/frequency
nearly continuously, now. Of course, he says WSC, not their real call
until the hour when they have a quickie spot to satisfy the FCC.

Yes, you complain about this. Yes, the listeners calling in complain
about this. No, the frequent call letter mentions are not for you, or
those other listeners.

It has been proven time and time again that frequent call letter
mentions = higher ratings. While you indeed may know which station
you're listening to, many others tune in and out and DO NOT. And
quite a few of 'em end up with Arbitron diaries.

Don't believe me? Hook up with a radio friend of yours - in
programming - and have 'em tell you. I've heard about diaries in one
of my former home markets that would amaze you.

Rush Limbaugh has been a talk radio institution since 1988. Four
years before that, he rose to prominence as a local host on Sacramento
news/talker KFBK, which happened to employ me (not overlapped with
Rush being in Sac for 7 1/2 years.

So, that means Rush has been on 1530 AM in Sacramento for nearly 20
years straight, every single weekday from 9 AM to noon, with late
night and weekend repeats.

Despite that, I've heard of relatively recent diaries (within the past
5 years) that have placed Rush on: KCTC (AM 1320, a nostalgia
station), KSTE (AM 650, a sister talk station to KFBK which runs
Premiere's Glenn Beck in that slot), KCRA (a former set of calls for
the aforementioned AM 1320), and that's just off the top of my head.

This, despite the fact you'd expect any sentient being in Sacramento
to know which radio station Rush was on, even if they don't listen to
talk radio or radio at all! KFBK has featured very frequent billboard
ad campaigns, along with other media, promoting Rush's show, even in
recent years.

The frequent call mentions may frost you...but for stations,
especially news/talk stations...they usually mean HIGHER RATINGS.

Mike