Old January 2nd 04, 11:53 PM
Charles Hobbs

David Eduardo wrote:
"Charles Hobbs" wrote in message

However, the last time I was anywhere near Cuba (Puerto Rico in late
2001), I couldn't hear anything from Cuba, on any frequency. Not even
a Radio Reloj clock tick....(Venezuela, on the other hand....)

Reception of Cuba in Puerto Rico is quite hard. One is about 800 to 900
miles from the major transmitters, and N/S propagation in the tropics eems
to cover greater distances on MW than E/W. At least, that is my impression
from living in the tropics for over 30 years.

My limited experience (3-day business trip to San Juan) seems to bear
this out....I picked up the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands relatively
clearly during the day, but after dark, Venezuelan stations stomped
all over everything. I don't recall even hearing PJB 800 on Bonaire....