Old January 3rd 04, 05:21 PM
Cooperstown.Net

"Steve Stone" wrote in message
I'm sure satellite radio is great for tunes on the road but once locked into
Sirius or equiv how are you warned
that the road ahead is blocked by an overturned sewerage sludge carrier ?
Listen to channel 19 on the old CB radio ??? lol

Of course I'm no more 'locked into' a Sirius music stream than if I were
listening to any other station that doesn't report on the particular road I'm
riding.

I'm in dairy country, so the sniff test is not a reliable indicator of
oncoming sewage sludge. There'd be too many false positives. Likewise with a
couple of little kids in the car.

In a rural area, the local dial is good for a whiff of nostalgia, rather
than for actionable information on the road. Visiting NYC, traffic reports can
be used skillfully. Presets for traffic on the ones, fives and eights, and I
bounce from report to report to choose among competing routes.

Telematics is one of satellite radio's killer apps. I expect that in a
couple of years satellite receivers will be receiving traffic and weather
information text encoded from all over the country. Subscribers, having
previously punched in the routes and zones they're interested in, will obtain
that information on the road via synthesized voice over the music bed.

Jerome